Friday, January 17, 2014

Let there be (sky)light

I came home to a pleasant sight today, that of a newly installed skylight. I've never had a skylight before except when I was very small, so I didn't really know what to expect. It looks really great, at least by night. It's 2'x4' and faces due south, so I'm looking forward to seeing it in the morning.

The floor structure was also upgraded to support the added weight of a tub full of water and a tile floor. The new floor will not be resting on the ceiling below at all, but rather on the walls and foundation.

The tub also arrived this morning and has made it upstairs as far as the living room:

Unfortunately, the window is not going well. The current window is designed to open just 30-45 degrees which makes me wonder why anyone would even bother to manufacture that. It's so useless, it's like a trial that ends too soon when you try to swing open the window panes. Not only that, the pane slides on a track so that when it opens the frame obscures the window opening and brings the panes even closer together. For me, a window is something that is like a miniature glass door with hinges on the frame that opens as far as you push it. Apparently that's not very common at all here, which boggles my mind. I didn't even think to ask, does the window open all the way because I assumed that all windows do. I've never seen anything like this before... This weekend we are (literally) going window shopping to find a more suitable one. The two top contenders are an extremely expensive wooden window which will require repainting every couple of years and a vinyl single or double casement window.

Here are some pictures from this evening, including the new skylight:

 It's a bit hard to see but the header above the doorway has also been removed which has really opened up the space above a lot.



No comments:

Post a Comment